Wednesday, October 20, 2010

About My Weight Watchers Meeting

I want to find a new meeting. I picked the one that I did because it is at 6 pm. It is the latest meeting to start and that makes it easier for my husband to get home from work and take over the children so I can go. The earlier start times of 5:30 are a bit tight timewise. Then there are meetings in the morning on Saturday. I think I am going to have to go to one of those meetings. I do not like my meetings and if the whole point of the meeting is to get support, ideas and encouragement I see this going downhill fast.

There are a couple of problems with my WW meeting. First of all it is on the campus of a big college. I had a really, really hard time finding the place for the first meeting. To the point that I was ready to just go home and say forget it. I hate being lost and I hate being late and I was both. When I finaly got there the meeting had already started. The meeting was held in a large fitness complex and because I was late I had to sit in the back of the room. Their was music blaring from somewhere nearby and I could not hear a thing the leader was saying. I caught every third word or so. And when another member onthe other side of the room spoke? Forget it. Couldn't hear a thing. So I was annoyed.

Once the meeting was over I approached the leader, aploigized for being late (I HATE being late!) and respectfully suggested that maybe it would be a good idea to put signs up telling people where the meeting was? I mean if they really want people to find it they ought to give them a bit more direction. She just brushed me off. The receptionist was rude and cold. Not what I wa expecting at all. Aren't these peopple suppossed to be encouraging? I thought that perhaps, since I was already miffed about getting lost and being late, that it was me and not them and figured I would come back the following week, nice and early, and see how it went.

The next week I got to the meeting early. The recpetionist seemed to be having a bad day. She looked angry. The leader seemed to be in a rush. She stumbled around a lot in her points and the meeting was not very motivating. Both the recpetionist and the leader seemed as though they would rather be any place but at the meeting. No warmth, no kindness, just very brusque and business like. Polite but cold. It was weird. ALso she handed out awards for everyone who had reached a milestone, 5 lbs lost, 5% weight gone, ect., and gave everyone their sticker except me. I had lost 6.4 pounds. So after the meeting I asked her if I could get a sticker since I lost 5 pounds and she seemed annoyed by it and asked me why I didn't speak up during the meeting? Um, a bit embarassing to do that. I figured it would be better to wait until after the meeting.

I am normally a really warm friendly person. I love talking to people. Perhaps that is because I am surrounded by children all day every day and get little adult stimulation. But, yeah, I consider myself to be super friendly and outgoing. Odd for an obese woman, huh? The leaders at my WW meeting are not warm and are not friendly. I decided to give it another week, thinking that perhaps they were both having an off week. At the same time.

So last night I had another meeting. Same results. Cold, indifferent, acting as though they can't wait to bolt out of there. I understand wanting to get home to your family, I do, but for the time that you are there at least try to enjoy it. You know? The other thing about my meeting is that since it is on a college campus it consists of mostly college students, and for some unknown reason senior citizens. I don't have anything against college students, or senior citizens, not at all, but we have nothing in common. I stick out like a sore thumb and I don't feel like I fit in there at all. I need to find some other mothers to comiserate with. People that I have more in common with then just being fat. So now I need to find a meeting that fits me. I hope that I can find what I am looking for.

1 comment:

  1. It is great that you have some options....it does suck that the leaders are not 'INTO IT'...after all how in the world do they think they will inspire others if they are so impersonal?!?!?!

    Good luck finding a meeting that will meet your needs....after all you had to pay good money you deserve to have needs met.

    ReplyDelete