Sunday, November 21, 2010

Putting Things Into Perspective

Yesterday after my WW meeting and before I went food shopping I had to hit up the Salvation Army to try and find some jeans for my boys and clothing for Big Helper and I. The jeans were a no-go but I did find a couple of nice jumpers for Big Helper and then I tried on several shirts for myself. Stnding in front of the dressing room mirror I started to feel very bad about myself and my body, ect, ect, ect. Going clothes shopping is still not an enjoyable experience for me but I had to get some things. I was able to find a nice red top and a black skirt that I was happy with. So when I went to the grocery store I was feeling a bit down, not liking the way I look and feeling like my progress is soo slow and pretty insignificant in the face of how much weight I still need to lose. I mean, really, what is 17 measly pounds compared to the 80-90 I still need to lose?  I went over to the turkeys to try and find a good one. Hubby had asked me to pick up an 18 pounder. As I slogged through the heavy turkeys, found one that fit the bill and hoisted it up and into the cart, it occured to me that that turkey, that big ole heavy thing, represented about the same amount of weight that I had lost. And in that moment my weight loss felt significant.

Later that night I had another revelation while talking to hubby about car seats. Snuggles is over one now but not quite 20 pounds. We want to put her in a different carseat and we were trying to figure out which carseat would be best for her. And then it hit me. She weighs 17 pounds. My little baby, my darling little girl, weighs exactly 17 pounds. There is was. A living breathing example of how much weight I have lost so far. And while she is teeny weeny and itsy bitsy, when I have to lug her around for awhile she feels very heavy. And that was what I used to be carrying around with me, but not any more. So I like these living breathing reminders. My next goal is to lose Sunshine. That sounds funny, but I mean to lose how much she weighs. She is a petite little thing too and weighs 26 pounds. So that is my next goal. Then Fiesty Princess will be my next target. When I can pick them up and carry them around and say, wow, I used to be carrying this much extra weight on my body, it is a pretty aweseme visual picture for me and I am a very visual person.
So that is my ah ha moment and insight for the day. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love those moments when you just go WOW!!!
    Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in on you....I hope everything is okay! It has been a while since your last post and just wondering how you are doing?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete