Last night I felt so sick. I way overindulged on the Halloween candy and I paid for it all night long with several trips to the bathroom. This caused me to have a really hard time sleeping. This morning when I woke up I still felt sick to my stomach. Yuck! I finally started to feel better around 11 ish and made some oatmeal with apples. Today has been a pretty light eating day. There is a part of me that wanted to fast today or do something extreme to counter yesterdays candy nightmare but I knew that was not the right thing to do. My mindset is different now. I am in this for the long haul. This is not a quick fix. I have done quick fix before several times in the past and while I would lose weight quickly doing my quick fixes the weight would also pile back on with interest at an alarming rate as soon as I stopped doing my quick fix! This up and down cycle has been repeating itself over and over again throughout the last 9+ years. It is time to stop and do this the right way, the healthy way, the long lasting way for life.
I was thinking too that it is really hard to overindulge or binge while doing Weight Watchers. The reason being that I can technically eat whatever I want on the program. I just have to allow for it. So if I really want a candy bar, I can have one. I just have to cut back on other foods for that day. And most times I would rather have a huge baked potato with steamed broccoli and a bit of cheese rather than one chocolate bar. I am a volume eater, I like to eat a lot so using 8 points for a candy bar that is not going to fill me up is not a choice I make very often, I would rather have a nice big filling meal. But every now and then, the candy will rule out, and it is OK. When I was eating a very restricted diet I would do really well for a long time, 5 or 6 months. But once I tasted some forbidden treat, some guilty pleasure, like bread, or cheese, or (gasp) reeses peanut butter cups (my favorite) it would be downhill from there. I would begin a binge like no other, eating all of my beloved foods that I had missed so much. Even going so far to make a special trip to the grocery store to buy all of the foods I missed so much. I would be like an addict looking for my food fix! This would last anywhere between 2 weeks to 4 months before I would get myself in check and repeat the cycle all over again. But now, this time, even though I ate way over my points last night I didn't feel that desperation, that overwhelming force. I didn't feel out of control at all. I knew that I would jump right back in again today, which I have done. If I had been doing my severly restricted way of eating last night would have triggered an all out binge. I would have told myself, well no use starting again today because the babys birthday is coming right up and I will want cake then, plusThanksgiving is right around the corner,and another birthday, then Christmas and New Years, so I will start again then, New Years Day. And in the meantime I would make every last fattening chocolatey, bready, ooey-gooey food I could, bake all my favorites and put 30-40 pounds on. Not even kidding. This is my PAST. My future is this: eating healthy, exercising daily, making rational sane food choices, indulging when the mood hits, doing everything in order and in balance. That sounds like such a better plan to me!! :)
Tonight for supper I made stuffed peppers. They were out of this world good so here is the recipe:
12 red peppers
1 orange pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 onion
13 baby bella mushrooms (or whatever kind you like best)
2 cups uncooked wild rice
brummel and brown
4 wedges laughing cow cheese
cut the red peppers in half lengthwise, de-seed and place on cooking sheet. Bake for a half hour or so until soft at 400. Meanwhile cook the rice. This takes awhile so you will probably want to do this first. While your peppers and rice are cooking chop up the onion, yellow and orange peppers and mushrooms and saute in 1 Tbsp brummel and brown until soft. Once the rice is cooked mix the veggies into the rice and add 4 wedges of laughing cow cheese, whichever kind you like best. Mix well. Scoop 1/4 cup of mixture into each pepper half and top with cheese if desired. I used Weight Watchers single slices on a couple and left some plain. I tried each and I don't know which way I prefer it, both ways were amazing! Then place the peppers back in the oven under the broiler to allow the cheese to melt.
I don't have the exact calorie count but I can tell you that I ate 4 pepper halves (yes, 2 whole peppers with filling) and it was 7.5 points. Two of my peppers had no cheese and 2 had a half slice each of cheese on them. Mmmmmmm! These were really, really, really!!!!! good! The wild rice was so nutty and the mushrooms and laughing cow cheese were savory on top of the delicious sweet red pepper, it was an amazing combination. I will be making these again, and I tucked some away for my lunch tomorrow as well. Yum, yum, yum!
That is all for now :)
Oh lady...I so hear you on the restrict and then binge for weeks on end...I understand this cycle so well. I have had it rear its ugly head just recently and had to come to a place that I recognized the cycle (like you have) and call out to God for many days until I finally won!!!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are enjoying moderation of all things...this really is where it is at with eating!! I think!
The peppers sound yummy!